Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween

So this year on Halloween I had a Turn of the Screw performance, so I didn't dress up or anything, but after the play I went with Rachel to "Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street". They were performing it up in this really cool theater everybody just calls "the castle" because that's what it looks like. For those of you who don't know about Sweeney Todd, it's a musical about a vengeful barber who slits the throats of the people who sent him to prison and raped his wife, as well as the throats of unfortunate customers, and then his assistant makes his victims into the most popular meat pies in London. Sounds really disgusting and disturbing, right? Well, yeah, but it's also very very funny in a very very dark kind of way, like the song Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett sing about the different textures and flavors in the pies, based on the sort of person that goes into it, and the scene where Sweeney sings a very sweet song about his long-lost daughter while slitting throats. It was just really weird. Then in the end it's actually really really sad, but I have to say that I guessed the surprise before it happened. And that's all I'm going to say. :)
After Sweeney Todd I couldn't go to bed, so I sat up and watched TV with my roommates until about 2:45 in the morning, when our doorbell rang. I have to say I was not that amused to find college-aged trick-or-treaters on my doorstep. I gave them some candy but said, You do realize that it's almost 3 in the morning, right? The genius in the group answered, "Yes, but it's still Halloween!" I glared at her. Actually, it's not. It's November first. "Oh." Good night. :)
So that's a college student Halloween for you. :)

No comments: