Sunday, August 24, 2008

Why I watch movies alone

Has anyone ever seen a movie that was maybe not Oscar-worthy but a very enjoyable flick that you liked immensely and then tried to show it to someone else? Maybe I'm just weird but it always turns into a very nerve-wracking experience for me. Every flaw and weak point in the film becomes glaringly apparent to me, and I fidget and squirm through the whole thing, wondering why I decided to show them this movie in the first place. Then, even though I can see all the flaws in the production, if the person I'm showing it to voices any disapproval at any part of the film, I feel I have to defend myself and my film and my judgment. Why is that? Why do I care? I mean I don't get riled up about hardly anything, but if you insult a movie I like I will jump down your throat. Then I'm in a bad mood because I feel like an idiot for reacting that strongly about a movie that I am perfectly aware is not the most amazing film ever, I just enjoyed it. So I guess that's why I used to go to the theatre all the time by myself. It was so I could enjoy a movie without having to make excuses to anyone else for liking it.

4 comments:

JaMiEj said...

This is about one night with the king isn't it? I'm sorry if I was insensitive. I really think I would have liked it, if it wasn't so loud. :) I mean what movie have you liked that I haven't liked? Not many! You've got awesome taste.

Stefanie said...

I've felt like that before. Tried to show Auntie Mame to a friend once, and it was a disaster. But I love that movie! Oh, well.

Kate Forsythe said...

No don't worry, it wasn't One Night with the King in particular, that was just the thing that started the train of thought. I do this all the time.

Forsythe said...

I agree...I hesitate recommending any movie to anyone. So I usually just keep my mouth shut and enjoy it all to myself.